Thursday, February 5, 2015

Ready2Read Resources and Supplies!

Ready2Read is our core reading curriculum and the only reading program that I use with the Moffatt Girls for K-1. I love this program because it is easy to use, fun for kids and loaded with hands-on resources.  It is the perfect reading curriculum for beginning and/or struggling readers!

I wanted to take a moment to share with you some of the resources that we use with Ready2Read.  Many of these resources, supplies and ideas can be used with any reading program to make learning more effective and FUN!

I store all of my Ready2Read supplies on top of my bookcase.  They are prepped and ready to go for each unit.  We are currently working on Ready2Read Level 1 Unit 6 right now, so the resources that you see are for that specific unit. 


Here is our first box. I picked up the pink containers from The Container Store
I am a bit obsessed with  The Container Store!
After prepping a unit, I store everything in this box, except for a few reproducibles that I have in a file.

What's in the box?
These are the main supplies that I use consistently with each unit.  I always try to add a new idea or way to learn our sight words and word families, but these resources are pretty consistent.  
(Left to Right)
*Dot Markers - I picked mine up at Lakeshore Learning Supplies, but you can get them anywhere. For me, these are a MUST!  We use them with so many different learning activities! I am always pulling out our Dot Markers!
*Baggies- Inside each baggie is an activity that is all prepped and ready to go for the unit we are working on.
*Stamps and ink pad- We use the stamp pad to stamp our sight words.  I actually have three different types of stamps and I switch them out to keep in interesting. 
*Yellow Owl with popsicle Sticks- I like to write our two word families that we are working with on the popsicle sticks so we can sort them.  (more info below)



Word Family Popsicle Sticks are just a fun way to read and sort word families. It is a super quick and fun activity that takes little time to prep.  We practice reading the words several times during a unit to help build fluency.

In unit 6 of our Ready2Read program, we are working on the -ug and -ut word families. I used a Sharpie to write a word on each popsicle stick.  We pull the sticks out, sort and them them according to word family.

This is our other container.  This pink supply box contains all of our easy and emergent readers.  This box is VERY important because it allows us to build fluency!

We have a LOT of easy readers in our home….literally hundreds!  However, I am very particular as to what I put in our Ready2Read reading supply box.  The books in this box are books to help beginning and/or struggling readers build confidence.  These books mostly work with simple CVC words and basic sight words.

 Bob Books are fabulous!  We have tons of these books and use them on a regular basis! Beginning Bob Books focus on simple CVC words for early readers.

In the middle are our Emergent Readers, which we use constantly.  Since each reader has a focused sight word, I am able to pull the readers that I need for each unit. For example, for unit 6, I am pulling the books with the sight words: three, go, not and blue since these are sight words we are currently working on.
 By about unit 4 of Ready2Read, students are able to use their decoding skills to read simple CVC word families that they have not been exposed to in the program.  They are able to read the word because of the strong phonics focus throughout each unit. They begin to master the ability to sound out and blend words rather than simply memorizing word families.
I also like the fact that these emergent readers carry ownership because kids get to color them and check of that that read them 3 times. Each reader works with pre-primer sight words and simple CVC words.

Here are a few other readers that I have picked up at books stores are the used section in our local library. A few of the readers do require shared reading. 

I like this little Word Building Magnetic Lapboard from Lakeshore Learning!
It is a great way to practice our word families and/or sight words.
I'm not quite sure what happened to letters v and w!  I am sure it will show up soon :)

Play Doh!  
I LOVE to use play doh with our Ready2Read units because it is very hands-on and fun for kids!
We use the Dough Stampers from Lakeshore as well, but you could use any ink stamps that you already have on hand.

This box also comes from The Container store.  It is the perfect storage solution for this set up.

Just stamp your sight words!  This simple activity really helps to make the sight words stick.  I find that activity also helps with spelling the sight words. they have to search for the letters they need for each sight word!

Kinetic Sand
This is a favorite!  If you haven't tried kinetic stand, get yourself to the store and buy some immediately!  
I LOVE this stuff! I put the kinetic sand in one of our containers from …..The Container Store, of course!  This sensory sand feels like wet sand, but is completely dry! The best part about it is it never dries out! The littlest Moffatt Girl is always asking to stamp her words in the kinetic sand! I picked this up at Lakeshore, but it is available at most arts and craft stores.


Storing the Units
After finishing each unit, I place all the little baggies and pieces in a large manila envelope with the cover page from the unit.  This allows me to review the units as needed. 


If you are unfamiliar with our Ready2Read program
be sure to check out some of our units in action here:

If you have any questions, please leave a comment or send me an email!
You can also follow The Moffatt Girls 
on Instagram @moffattgirls
or don't miss a post and subscribe by email






17 comments:

Pspetralia said...

Great organization post! I love seeing how other teachers organize all of their materials. I have your ready 2 read bundle and I struggle with keeping it all organized. Thanks for sharing!
Pam
Mrs. P’s Specialties

brit923 said...

HI, I bought Ready2Read and my kids love it. They beg to "play". I am wondering how long per day you usually spend on reading/phonics. Thanks for all of your products!

Jennifer @ Simply Kinder said...

I love seeing how you put it all together in your classroom! I dream of being this organized!

Jennifer
Simply Kinder

Jodi said...

You're SO organized! I'm pretty sure my house would be a disaster if I tried to homeschool ;) I LOVE that little owl!

❀Jodi
Fun In First

Lori Rosenberg said...

Your girls are so lucky to have such a creative and organized teacher for their very own! Thanks for giving us a peek at your classroom!

ESSD21 said...

Great organizational post! I have all three of your Ready2Read bundles, and while I have a similar method of storing them when not in use, I never really came up with a cute way of presenting them. I can't wait to see more of your posts like this! Hopefully a classroom tour is on the horizon...

Annie Moffatt said...

Thank you so much for your comment Pspetralia! YES.... a classroom tour is just around the corner!!
Annie :)

Brandy said...

What do you use for reading instruction after first grade?

Jennifer White @ First Grade Blue SKies said...

Looks awesome!
Jennifer

Tina Wheeler said...

These sound awesome! I'll definitely check these out!

Tina
Miss Tina's PreK

Shari Copeland said...

I have the Emergent Readers and I must tell you that my kids LOVE them. They have words they know as well as words we have to think about a little/aka sound out. They get so excited when we finish reading and they get to check a box. One day the recess bell rang before we got to the last page. The entire group let out a loud groan and asked if they could keep working so they could finish the book. :)

Amy said...

What is the best way to determine which unit to begin with (I have an after school enrichment reading group-K- on/above level)

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Amy!

Great question! Each level is specifically designed to work with certain phonics groups and sight words. Therefore, if a child is struggling in a certain area, that is where you would start. Here is a breakdown of each level:
Level 1 works with short CVC vowels sounds and pre-primer sight words. If students are not able to read the following sentence with complete fluency, then you would start on Level 1:

(Just a few examples)
1. The cat ran to the man in the van.
2. Look at Jan jump up and down.
3. Do you see the bug in the blue mug?
4. My Dad can fix that fan.
5. Did you like the ham?

Level 2 will work with Beginning blends, Digraphs and primer (Dolch sight words). If students can easily read cvc words and simple sentences listed above, but struggle with blends and digraphs, then you want to start with Level 2.

Level 3 will introduce some long vowels, r-controlled vowels and 1st grade sight words.

I hope that helps, Amy!
Kindly,
Annie :)

Amy said...

I love your homeschool classroom! I would love to homeschool!!!

Paula Gebhardt said...

This is fantastic. What an inviting little classroom. I bet your girls can't wait to learn every day.

Lisa said...

Do you have any of your resources in a printed format? Or are all of them digital only?

Lisa said...

Do you have any of your resources in a printed format? Or are all of them digital only?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover