Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Building Fluency - The Quick and Easy Way!

As we all know, fluency is a key component to reading success! Students need a LOT of opportunities to practice sight word recognition and newly learned decoding skills.  I wanted to create a packet that would help build fluency and allow for assessment.  Our new Fluency Strips (Set I) is a quick and easy way to practice, build fluency and assess students!

There are 480 different simple sentence strips in this packet!  
This packet offers a TON of practice to help build fluency and confidence!




Question #1
What is a simple sentence?
The simple sentences in this packet are made of basic sight words and decodable CVC words.   This provides kids with a genuine opportunity to practice reading sentences they can decode with early phonics and basic sight words. 

Question #2
How do the sentence strips work?
There are 480 different sentence strips in this packet.  The sentence strips are divided into 10 groups. I printed each set on colored cardstock and laminated them for durability.  Each set of sentence strips are labeled to provide for easy assessment and/or differentiation. 

Printed each set on a different colored cardstock...    

Laminated them…
I have a personal laminator, but when it comes to larger jobs I always take them to the teachers supply store.  This ends up being more cost effective and it saves me a bunch of time!

Hole punch them, cut them out and placed them on a ring…
Quick tip: Hole punch them BEFORE you cut them out!  It makes it a whole lot faster!  Sadly I realized this towards the end.
 

The rings are great because they are all in one place and will not get lost.  

It is also helpful for kids to know which "color" fluency packet they are working on.

I am SUPER excited about these Fluency Strips!  With 480 DIFFERENT simple sentences, this will provide us with a LOT of fluency practice!!  The best part is that they are READY to GO!


Question #3
How does the assessment piece work?
Each set of sentence strips corresponds to 4 assessment sheets and there are 48 fluency strips per set.  For example, set 1 has 48 simple sentences, set 2 has 48 different simple sentences and so on.  The assessment sheets break the fluency strips into 4 smaller sets for quick practice and easy assessment.  This also helps the child feel less overwhelmed :)

The cute cover strips are included in the packet and they are the ONLY thing you need to print in color :) 


I LOVE the look of our new fluency strips!  They are like eye candy :)

This makes it easy for kids to know which set they are working on and also makes it easy to differentiate...

Take set 4 for example...

Set 4 has 4 corresponding assessment sheets.  There are 12 sentences for each assessment sheet. This really helps break it down, especially in the beginning of the process. Kids can feel overwhelmed with too many sentences and teachers may not want to sit through LONG assessments.   However, as time goes on, they will be able to read an entire set quickly and with ease!    
Quick and EASY assessments!

Each Fluency Strip  has a number.  In this case, this is from set 4 sentences 37...

As the child reads the sentence, it is easy to follow along with the assessment sheet...

I like to make notes along the way.  You can use this assessment sheet any way that best fits YOUR needs.  I like to check off the sentences that are read correctly, circle sentences that a child is unable to read and write the word that the child said in place of the actual word.
In this case, you can see that my daughter read "pig" for pet.  This tells me that she is recognizing the beginning sound, but it looks like we may need to work more on middle and ending sounds.  She is guessing at the last two sounds because she is not taking the time to sound it out...VERY typical for beginning readers.  There are also a few sight words that we need to work on.

As I mentioned, you can use the assessment sheets in any way that best fits your needs.  As the student reads the fluency strips, you can follow along with the assessment pages and make anecdotal notes to help identify areas of difficulty and/or strengths.  By identifying areas of difficulty, it is easier to target a child's need for specific instruction.  Or…you can do away with assessments altogether :)

Data Tracking
There are both individual and class check off sheets for each set.  This allows a child to work at his/her pace and allows the teacher/parent to keep records of of the sets that have been read fluently.  I plan on using these Fluency Strips with the littlest Moffatt Girl since she just started reading. She needs a LOT of extra practice and support and this is just PERFECT!  

I will be using this Check off List so we can both monitor her progress.  She feels SO proud when she can finish a set! Of course we have a prize in place when she finishes reading all of her fluency strips!  I know that she will not be completely "fluent" after reading these the first time, so this will be something we will use again and again throughout the year.

It doesn't really matter what set they start with since they all use basic (pre-primer) sight words and simple CVC words.  Therefore, I let her pick the color she wanted to start on and of course it was pink :)

In this simple sentence fluency strip you can see there there are 
two sight words: the and here
three CVC words: big, bug, dug

Then of course we had to try the pink set...

"Help" is one of the sight words, but it is also a decodable word so she tried sounding it out...


I am SO happy I made this packet!  This is EASY for me and a QUICK way to practice fluency!

I hope this makes practicing FLUENCY quick and easy!

You can pick this set up HERE


You can check out Set 2, which works with Blends, Digraphs and Primer Sight Words {HERE}


Set 3 works with long vowels and 1st Grade Sight Words {HERE}

Save BIG and get the BUNDLE {HERE}

I hope that these Fluency Strips help build both confidence AND fluency!  











16 comments:

Tiffanie Watts said...

Just curious if you have a compilation of the sets for sale?

Erin Reder said...

Awesome!! I love this! Looking forward to sets 2 and 3!!

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Tiffanie!

I am working on them and I hope to have set 2 finished in a few weeks! After that I will work on set 3 and then bundle them :) Thank you for asking about them.
Annie :)

Sarah Paul said...

Annie, you've done it again! I love how everything you do is beautiful and organized and SO perfect for kids. This looks like a great system! Good work my friend. :)

Beverly Elrod said...

Will set 2 or 3 be geared toward grade 2? I love your products!!!!

Amber said...

Are these to be used after completing Ready2Read Level 1?

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Amber,

My daughter in on Level 1 unit 5 and she is working on reading the sentence strips right now. However, there are some sight words that she doesn't know yet. When Level 1 is complete, these would serve as a great fluency builder :) I hope that helps!
Annie :)

BreeAdams said...

This looks amazing!!! I teach second grade and I'm not sure if I should go ahead and purchase this set or wait for sets 2 and 3??? This set looks to be a little easy for my kiddos.

Liz Faulkner said...

I was wondering where you buy your beautiful copy paper and what colors you used. Thanks!

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Bree!

Thank you for your kind words! Sets 2 and 3 might be more appropriate for your 2nd Graders, unless you have students who are struggling with simple CVC words. Sets 2 and 3 will work with blends, digraphs and long vowels. I hope that helps!
Kindly,
Annie :)

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Liz!

I actually purchased my paper from Staples. I picked out 2 different packets that had the colors I wanted :) One of the packets was double sided with 2 shades of colors, so I used that packet for 2 different sets. I hope that helps! I will post the paper I used for sets 2 and 3 so it is more clear. Thank you for asking, Liz!

Kindly,

Partly Sunny said...

Are the fluency sets used in the classroom only or are they part of homework for practice? I assume they would be introduced in small group, but then practiced independently?

Partly Sunny said...

Are the fluency sets used in the classroom only or are they part of homework for practice? I assume they would be introduced in small group, but then practiced independently?

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Partly Sunny!
That is a great question. I think that you can use them any way that best fits your needs. The assessment pages would be good for one on one reading and assessment to help target strengths and weakness. You could use them with partners and have the students read every other sentence strip. You could even use them in small groups. They are perfect for fluency practice and/or assessment. I hope that helps!
Kindly,
Annie :)

Brandy Lynn said...

These are awesome! Just wondering if you sale sets already put together (printed, laminated, cut & punched)?

Jill Ferguson said...

Love these! Are the based of Dolch, Hi Fry or something else? Thanks so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover