Sunday, January 26, 2014

Ready2Read Level 1 Unit 1…AGAIN!

Ready2Read Level 1

I am thrilled beyond words to start Ready2Read Level 1 with the littlest Moffatt Girl!  Learning how to read is such an exciting journey and we are enjoying every minute of it!   If you would like to learn more about the Ready2Read program, see the information page {HERE}.

Unit 1 Sight Words: the, and, a, I, see
Unit 1 Word Families: -at and -an
*Detailed Lesson Plans Included

In this post, you will see Ready2Read Level 1 Unit 1 "in action".  Not all of the activities will be shown in this post, but enough to give you an idea of what is included in the unit.  The goal for Ready2Read is to making learning FUN, hands-on and effective!  Mastery of the word families and sight words is also key to a confident and happy learner. 

The CVC building mats were very effective in sounding out each letter in the -at and -an word family.  Searching for each sound really helped isolate the beginning, middle and ending sounds.

 Hands-on activities always work BEST...
 It is pretty exciting to hear a little reader sound out, blend and BUILD the word bat...
b…..a…..t
BAT!


The -at and -an apple word sort was so much fun!  In fact, we did this activity SEVERAL times!  This little girl was so happy that she could READ!



With each apple, her confidence was building...


Since the word sort combined both the -at and -an family words, it was a great way to make sure that we were sounding out each letter and not just guessing what the word might be.

 For example, this apple could be rat or ran.  It was exciting to see her sound out the words!
Master in the key in our Ready2Read program!  

The Read and Color activity is also perfect for sounding out our word families.  One of the struggles beginning readers have is sounding out the last letter in a simple CVC word.  They tend to guess the last letter.  For example they will say "mat" for the word "man".  This did occur when reading our the words, BUT this game required you to pay careful attention to the ending word family because the -at and -an families were mixed in together. 

 Sound by sound she is reading her CVC words with accuracy...

Sounding it out...

I think this face says it all!  She LOVED this activity! 


 You could use crayons for this activity, but we really enjoyed the dot markers!

After playing the Read and Color game several times, I added the cards to our pocket chart to practice reading and re-reading the words.  


We turned it into a super FUN game of "smash ball".  Take a piece of crumbled up paper and throw it at the word family cards.  Run up and read the word family that you hit!  
We played this game 3 times in a row!  I LOVE how we are getting so much word work practice with our 2 word families by simply extending the activity!  

 Decorating sight words is such a fun and hands-on activity for the kids.
 It is also super effective in learning those tricky words!

 You can use just about anything to decorate your sight words!  We have used glitter, cheerios, beans, stickers and more!  Today was all about the GLITTER!

Squeezing the glue bottle is great for building fine motor skills needed for writing...

CVC PUZZLES!  
I attached magnets to the back of our CVC Puzzles so that we could use them on the white board...

We started off by mixing up the pieces...

Then we starting building the CVC Puzzle words….

 Completely engaged and READING!

 "Take a picture! I did it!"
Melt my heart!  She is reading and having so much FUN!

 This was another activity that we did several times!

Word and Picture Match with the -at family….


 This would also be a good activity to add magnets to the back and use one the whiteboard...

Word and Picture Match with the -an family…


Because she felt so successful with this activity, she wanted to do it again!


See and Stamp Sight Words!

You can use any stamps you have, but I picked these up at Lakeshore.

Here is one of our Read it, Trace it, Paste it pages.  Each page works with the word families and sight words from the unit.  A perfect way to build fluency and read an actual sentence!  


We made the activity a bit more interactive by painting each word in the sentence...

Color by Sight Word
This is a FAVORITE!  The color by sight word pages in each unit work only with the sight words in that specific unit.  It also helps with reading and recognizing color words…

 Looking for the sight word...


Coloring the sight word circles, which will be added to our Sight Word Caterpillar...

Reading her Mini-Books, which combine the sight words and word families from the unit...

 Coloring the mini-books really adds ownership to the learning process.

 She read these little mini-books again and again!  
She wanted to read them to everyone in the family!

 Reading her mini-books to her big sister…

I said, "Sophia!  You read the whole book all by yourself!  You are READING!"
This was her reaction…
:)

Working with the -at Family Mini-Book...

Pointing and sounding it out...


Coloring the Mini-Books also helps students make connections with the text...

There is also an -an family Mini-Book...

 I kept encouraging her to point to each word as she read it so that she wouldn't just guess the last few sounds.   This really helped.


Having fun coloring the Mini-Books...

Here is the Color by Word Family coloring page, which included both -at and -an word families...
Reading and coloring by the code…
the perfect challenge!

Word Family Word Slides!  These are so fun for kids and Sophia read these over and over.  There is something FUN about sliding letters and making words.  Here is our -an family word slide...


Working with our -at family word slide….

Sounding it out...

Singing our weekly sight words to the tune of BINGO...

Here is the song we sing…
(to the tune of B-I-N-G-O)

There was a sight word for the day, 
and AND was our sight word
A-N-D and (3 times)
and AND was our sight word!

Kids LOVE to sing and this was such a good way to help reinforce the spelling of sight words!  Even though the lesson plan says to sing one sight word a day, we sing ALL 5 of them every day!  It only takes a couple of minutes and it is such a FUN way to master sight words!

We have added out -at family flower and -an caterpillar to our Ready2Read Wall.  Each week we will add a new garden piece to the Ready2Read Wall.  The garden pieces will be a way to reinforce and review sight words and word families.

I LOVE our Word Family flower….

 And our Word Family Caterpillar...

Here is our Sight Word Caterpillar.  We will also add 5 new sight words each week. 
 The more we learn, the more our caterpillar will grow!

A HUGE accomplishment…
The Ready2Read Level 1 Unit 1 Reading Certificate!
Check out Level 1 Unit 2 in action {HERE}

You can grab Ready2Read Level 1 {HERE}

**We also have THE BUNDLE (all 8 units), which is discounted 20% {HERE}





Here are a few additional resources that we are using to enhance Ready2Read Level 1 and reinforce the skills and words that we are learning.  
These resources are NOT included in the Ready2Read units.

For more fluency practice, we are using our Emergent Readers (The Bundle), which works with pre-primer sight words and CVC words.





We collect the words for each unit and add them to the sight word wallet












16 comments:

Pspetralia said...

Great post! I love the variety of activities. I use a similar sight word song in my classroom and the kids love it!

Lori Rosenberg said...

Wow! What a great read from start to finish! Your Ready to Read program is amazing. And your little reading cutie has obviously learned a tremendous amount from it. Great post, Annie!
Lori
Teaching With Love and Laughter
luvyorkies@gmail.com

Traci - Dragonflies in First said...

The excitement of learning to read is in every single expression!!! Such a great post!

Lyndsey (A Year of Many Firsts) said...

Yahoo!!! I'm so proud of sweet Sophia!!!! This post is AH-MA-ZING! Love it and LOVE YOU, Annie.

Gladys said...

Ahhh!!! How exciting to have another little reader in the house! Yay!! Love, love, love this post! :)

Fluttering Through First Grade said...

Oh my- cannot get over your sweet Sophia! Her smile says it all! Her look on the picture with the word 'rat' melts my heart. Such a beautiful collage of her reading journey. Yay for lil readers!!! Congrats mama!
~Christy & Tammy
Fluttering Through First Grade

McCleary Family Fun said...

I'm using your creations with my pre-schoolers. thank you.

Barb Whitney said...

Love these amazing ideas! Fun stuff!

Barb Whitney said...

Love these amazing ideas! Fun stuff!

McCleary Family Fun said...

I'm using your creations with my pre-schoolers. thank you.

suthner said...

Oh these look wonderful!

debbie said...

Hi,
I started reading your blog a couple of years ago because I was following the path of some homeschool blogs.
I was able to download your Ready2Read Level 1 and 2 a couple of years ago. I really liKed it. Although I didn't have any children at home needing this, I work with struggling readers and thought I could use it. Which I did. Now I see there are upgrades so I am thinking that I will purchase it. I like the new books and a couple of the other hands on activities that you added.
I so like your learning materials and would purchase them all if I could. Thanks for making learning so fun for your children and sharing it with all of us!

Lori said...

I used this for my now 6 year of and she loved it! Because of your program she is one of the top readers in her class:) I am getting ready to use this again with my youngest who is 4. I'm excited about all the updates:). Can you suggest some books I can buy to go along with your program? With my oldest we used bobs books but would like something else this time around. Thanks:)

Crystal Dorsey said...

Annie I am sooo thankful I found your blog and facebook page! I have been struggling with my youngest daughter with reading. We have tried Horizons Phonics and even used letter to sound out blends and it's been so frustrating for her and me! She is a very busy hands on type of girl so it's been so difficult to have her "sit" and "listen" for reading time. I am so excited to try out your ready to read bundles units! I know she will love this!

Laura Smith said...

Annie,
THANK YOU!!!! I am homeschooling my daughter who is almost 6. She was struggling with our other reading system we were using, and I was struggling to teach it. I found your blog through Pinterest and we found the Ready2Read Levels. We just finished our first day and she read the first -at family book with very little help from me on the sight words we haven't covered yet. I started crying as I saw her reading that little book to her little brother and sister! She is so proud of herself!! Thanks for a wonderful reading system!

Ilja said...

Hi Annie,

Beautiful program! i was wondering on what paper you print your "hard copy" of the program? is it Photo paper? or laminated? thanks so much..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover