Friday, May 18, 2012

WriteShop Primary Reivew

I was recently given the opportunity to review a Writing Curriculum called WriteShop.  This has really come at a perfect time since Audrey has shown so much interest in writing lately.


What is WriteShop?
WriteShop Primary is an incremental writing program designed for grades K-3.  There are three levels included in this curriculum, Book A, B, and C, which make it easy to continue a consecutive writing program.   We began with Book A, which is prefect for students in Kindergarten or 1st grade.  This program  accommodates pre-writers, beginning writers and developing writers.  Although this is an incremental writing program, but the books can also be used independently, depending on your child's needs and writing level.

How Does it Work?
The program is very scripted and requires little prep, which makes this it easy to implement into any learning environment.   The book also offers various schedules for planning your lessons, depending on your child's age and needs.  Here is what a writing activity looks like from Book A:

Activity Set 1: Guided Writing Practice
Activity Set 2: Guided Writing Practice with pre-writing activities and Picture Book
Activity Set 3: Guided Writing Practice and Brainstorming
Activity Set 4: Guided Writing Practice and The Writing Project
Activity Set 5: Guided Writing Practice, Editing and Revising
Activity Set 6: Guided Writing Practice Activity Set Worksheet
Activity Set 7: Guided Writing Practice and Publishing the Project
Activity Set 8: Guided Writing Practice and Want to Do More?

You can see some of our writing activities in action on our whiteboard.  I used the teacher guide to help me select the prompts, but Audrey was able to input what was relevant to her.  As an educator, I also appreciate that this program is geared towards meeting standards, so the prompts are focused in particular areas.  However, WriteShop does allow you, and encourages you, to change the topic when it better fits into your own curriculum.  Therefore, this curriculum is very flexible.
Activity Set 1 (Guided Writing)
Activity Set 2 (Guided Writing)
 Activity Set 3 (Guided Writing)
 Activity Set 4 (Brainstorming so she can write about her favorite animal.)
 Activity Set 5 (Guided Writing)
Activity Set 6 Worksheet

 Activity Set 8 (Guided Writing)
 Editing and Revising (Writing from Activity Set 5)


What do we think?
I think WriteShop is an excellent program that provides a lot of scaffolding and structure for young writers.  In addition, this program may be a good fit for you, especially if you are hesitant to teach writing to your children.  The only addition I would want to see in this program is more writing templates and/or stationery for students to practice their new writing skills.  I think that kids like to have a fun and specific place to write their stories.  However, you can easily find or make your own templates to go along with the program.  

If you are interested in this curriculum, I would encourage you to check out their FREE sample lesson plans {HERE}. 

How much Does it Cost?
*WriteShop Book A print edition retails for $26.95 {HERE}.
*WriteShop Book A PDF Download retails for $24.95 {HERE}.
**You can see all of WriteShop products {HERE}.

WriteShop is also offering The Moffatt Girls readers 15% off any WriteShop Primary and Junior products in the WriteShop store {HERE}. Use code CREW15 at checkout.  Offer is only valid through June 15, 2012.

You can also see what my other Crew Mates' thought of this product {HERE}.

Disclaimer:  As part of the Homeschool review team, I received this product free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion  of this product on my blog.  I was not influenced by the company or the free product.

4 comments:

Jackie said...

I am so glad to see this review...I have been trying to figure out what to use next year. Although my grandson can read very well he isn't into writing much at all. I am hoping this would help. Thanks for sharing. Question - which did you use the ebook or the printed book? Now I have to choose a spelling program, I think AAS is too intensive for him.

Annie Moffatt said...

Hi Jackie,
I used the printed book...I just do so much better when I can have a tangible item in my hand:) The book also says that this is a great program for boy as well, since they may be a little more hesitant to enter the writing process:)

Jackie said...

Cool...thanks!

Lori Rosenberg said...

Thanks for writing such a specific review of this product. I am always interested in reading about activities and programs that promote good writing.

Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
Teaching With Love and Laughter

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover