Wednesday, March 21, 2012

1,500 Ladybugs!

Spring is finally here and we celebrated by releasing 1,500 ladybugs in our garden!  Yes, 1,500!!  The girls were super surprised when Daddy brought home a container of ladybugs.  You NEED to do this with your classroom and/or with your kids!!  This was SO much FUN!!

Start with a $6.99 container of ladybugs and a magnifying glass.  We picked up our container at Home Depot, but I am sure that they have them at many gardening supply stores.
 Honestly, I didn't believe that there were 1,500 ladybugs in that container, UNTIL I opened it up!  They just kept coming and coming!
and coming!!
The girls were in their jammies because we had to release the ladybugs in the evening.  
Each of us had at least 10 ladybugs on us at one time and the girls just LOVED it!!
 We spent the evening and the next morning looking at the ladybugs and talking about them.  This was such a FUN and EDUCATIONAL experience!
We talked about their spots, their habitats, their wings, and the little aphids they ate up!   
 Such a simple activity, but so packed with learning!!



10 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow!

Tara said...

So love this!!! I did this with my kiddos when they were little. I love ladybugs and love what they do for gardens:)

4th Grade Frolics

Busy Bees said...

So cooooooool...where did your husband pick these up from. I would love to do these with my kinders!!
Thanks!
Robynn
BusyBees

Carla at Preschool Powol Packets said...

That looks like a blast! I definitely want to do it! Your girls are adorable, too!

TheJobBoys said...

Wow! I love this, My kids would love this.
A learning fun for the whole family.

Annie Moffatt said...

Robynn,
My husband picked up our ladybugs at Home Depot, but I am pretty sure you can get them at any garden center....I think:)

Mrs.Kincaid said...

I'm in love with this idea!!! Thanks for sharing!

Jackie said...

This looks so cool. I have just been thinking about spring projects and planting that we can do, and this idea fits right in. I will definitely look for these at the garden store. Thanks for sharing. Just wondering...can ladybugs keep deer away :o).

Brandi said...

I did NOT know Home Depot had them! My mom paid 3 times that amount for some at a specialty store last summer. Can't wait to do it again!

Traci said...

How fun! Love your pics!
❤Traci❤
Dragonflies in First

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover