Saturday, December 3, 2011

FREE Christmas Clap-the-Syllables Printables!

The Moffatt Girls house has been somewhat out of commission since the computer was in for repairs and poor little Audrey has been very sick.  Although I appreciated the break from blogging, I am sure glad to have my computer back so I can post again.

Since Christmas is right around the corner, I have a free Christmas Clap-the-Syllables printable for you! This activity is a fun way to reinforce phonological awareness and help children to understand that words are broken down into component sounds.  When children can identify that words have separate sounds, spelling becomes an easier task.

These printables are designed to be laminated, cut out, hole punched and placed on a ring.  You can either use a dry erase marker or a vis-a-vis.  Children can practice tracing the word and circling the number of syllables in each word.  More advanced students can use slashes to identify where the syllables are broken apart.  For example: the word present has 2 syllables and can be broken down as pre/sent.  This download meets Common Core Standards for both Kindergarten and 1st Grade in the category of Phonological Awareness.


If you download our free printables, we would be so grateful if you added our shop as one of your favorites on Teachers Notebook:)  


Click the picture to get your FREE printable!



Merry Christmas!!

15 comments:

Mrs. McKown said...

Just downloaded it to use with my little ones! Thanks for sharing!

❤Mrs. McKown
Little Literacy Learners

Mrs. McKown said...

Just me again...I wanted to rate it, but couldn't figure out how to do so! :(

Jeannette said...

love it thanks

Crayons and Curls said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful goodie! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Jude Eastman IAC-CC & M.Ed. Life and Soul Coaching said...

We'll do this whole group, then I will place one copy at a center and have them copy the words on to writing paper and write the number of syllables after. We have been told to cut way back on "making copies". I could make a couple laminated copies and have them use dry erase markers.

Mrs. Yazzie's Classroom News said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. Yazzie's Classroom News said...

Wonderful!
I'm going to make 6 sets to place at a work station, then include a simple 3 column recording sheet for them to write their words (according to the number of syllables).

Thank you so very much!!!

Annie Moffatt said...

Thank you so much for all of your feedback!! Julie, I so appreciate your thoughtfulness on leaving a rating. I don't think you can do that for freebies:)

Tamara L. Chilver said...

Just printed them off to use this week with my kiddos! Thanks Annie!

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Love these...I have a couple of my kids that will really benefit from this as a review!! Thank you!!
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

She-Homeschools said...

Annie, another great printable!

Thanks!

Katie said...

I LOVE these! Thank you so much for the freebie. I'm a speech pathologist and these would be great for some clients as well. Also, I just started a new Linky party and this would be PERFECT for it! It's called Thrifty Thursday....I'd love for you to come check it out!

http://www.playingwithwords365.com/2011/11/thrifty-thursday-linky-party-1/

Class Full of Speical Kinders said...

I love these! Thank you so much! I use a drum and have the kiddos "beat" out the syllables. They think that is so much fun! Can't wait to use these this week!

Jeannie

michelle said...

Thank you so much for these!! I am going to laminate them, cut them into cards and make it a center game.

On the child's turn, they pick a card and clap out how many syllables they think it is. If they are correct, they keep the card, if not, it goes to the bottom.

When all cards are done, the child with the most wins,

THANK YOU!!!

Janine Campos said...

Thank you! I'm starting to research beginning of the year skills for my incoming Kinders. This will really help.

✌Janine
Kindergarten Corps

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover