Monday, December 5, 2011

Artistic Pursuits Review

I will be completely honest and say that I can't draw very well.  In fact, when I was teaching in the classroom, I told my students they were not allowed to laugh at Mrs. Moffatt's stick figures!  I certainly don't want poor Audrey and Sophia's art eduction to suffer simply because I can't draw.  Therefore, as part of the TOS Crew, I am extremely happy to be able to review ARTstic Pursuits!

Photobucket
What is it?
Artistic Pursuits is a art curriculum for grades K-12 and can be used for both homeschoolers and classroom teachers.  The Moffatt Girls were given the opportunity to review the The Way They SEE it.  The book is designed to be used at liberty and is not limited to ridged guidelines, which is especially good for younger children.

How Does it Work?
This hands-on curriculum requires very little prep from the parent and the book is broken down into three sections:
* The Nature of Children's Artistic Development
*Use Real World Examples to Point out Artistic Ideas
*First Skills

The materials required for this book are very simple and include:
*Crayons
*Markers
*Paint
*Clay
*Paper

The author emphasizes that for children, creating art is about the PROCESS and not the RESULT.  Each lesson includes a picture talk, an art project and Grown-up talk.
The picture talk introduces children to a famous painting and gives you questions to ask the child.
The art project connects the picture talk with the lesson.
Grown-up Talk explains how and what children are learning during the lesson.

Here are some examples of Audrey's artwork:
I love how they started out with something so simple and yet she really enjoyed this task.  She even asked to do this 3 separate times...

 This picture was drawn after looking at a famous painting.  Here is Audrey's version...


How much does it cost? The cost of the book is $42.95.  Kits can be purchased $45-92 depending on the level.

What did we think of ARTistic Pursuits?
I really like this book for several reasons.  First of all, there is no prep on my end and it makes easy for me to whip out an art lesson at any time.  I also like the fact that Audrey is being exposed to some great pieces of art work in a stress-free environment.  She is able to enjoy the process of creating her own art work while learning to think critically about what she is seeing.

You can see what my other crew members thought of this product {HERE}.

Disclaimer:  I received this product free of charge in exchange for a review on my blog.  However, the opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not influenced by the product or the company. 

1 comment:

Miss Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. After seeing what the art teacher was teaching in the school I used to work at I recently discovered that my kids are really lacking in the exposure to art category. This may help us out.
-Miss Amanda @ LittleAdventuresPreschool.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover