Monday, September 19, 2011

Before Five in a Row Review

As part of the Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew, I am so happy to be able to review the book, Before Five in a Row (BFIAR) by Jane Claire Lambert.  A friend of mine had mentioned this book to me several months ago, but I had not given it much thought until recently.  After looking through this book, I plan on incorporating this into our preschool time.


What is Before Five in a Row?
Before Five in a Row is a book that focuses on classical children's literature and is meant to be used with children 2-4 years old.  There are 23 stories to read with suggested activities (mini-units) in the areas of Language, Art, Science, Bible, Math and more.  The premise behind the book is that children should enjoy the simple pleasures of childhood, and one of the most important pleasures is being able to snuggle up and listen to a good book.  The author also emphasis the value of building family memories through the activities surrounding each book.  This simple curriculum is meant to be flexible and enjoyable.

How Does it Work?
Begin by choosing a book to read from the selection provided in Before Five in a Row and read it five  days in a row.  Many of the books are designed to include repetition so that children can build confidence in their pre-reading skills.

Our first book was Jessie Bear, What Will You Wear? which I found at our local library.  After reading our story, the recommended activities for this book included:
*A Bible Scripture 
*Language Arts (poetry)
*Loving Relationships
*Colors, Patterns and Combinations
*Fine Arts-Drama
*Literature
*Poetry and Art (Children are encourage to create new verses to the story)
*Can You Find Searches
*Recognizing Patterns
*Order
*Details
*Games to Play
*Science
*Shapes
As you can clearly see, there are so many activities that surround just one story!  Like most children, my girls can listen to a book read over and over again.  They truly enjoy the sheer pleasure of Mommy reading a book to them as they snuggle in my lap.  In this case, both girls enjoyed Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?


Additional Resources:
Before Five in a Row (ages 2-4)
-Five in a Row -a four volume series (PreK-3rd)
-Beyond Five in a Row- a three volume series which uses chapter books (PreK-Adult)
-Above and Beyond Five in a Row

What Does it Cost?
Each of the books cost $35 and can be purchased through Rainbow Resources

What Do I think?
I love this book and I am so happy to be able to use it with my girls.  I think this is a great opportunity to snuggle up and read some wonderful, timeless books together.  What I really appreciate about this book is that there are so many amazing FREE resources on the internet that accompany each story.  I cannot wait to incorporate this into our preschool/toddler "school" time!

You can also see what my other TOS Crew Members think of this product and see if it is a good fit for you and your family.


Disclaimer:  I received this book free of cost in exchange for an honest review and opinion.  The opinions expressed in this post are my own and have not been influenced by the company or the free product provided.

1 comment:

kewkew said...

Thanks for the review. I almost wish I could have seen the volumes before purchasing them because I got FIAR, not before FIAR. I almost think I should have gotten the Before now. Maybe another time

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover