Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Curiosity Files Review-Platypus



I had the privilege of reviewing an e-book on The Curiosity Files for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine.  We were able to explore the life of the platypus with Professor Ana Lyze, an expert in outlandish oddities.

What are the Curiosity Files?
The Old Schoolhouse Magazine offers 9 different unit studies on unusual subjects ranging from the platypus to MRSA (bacteria).   Although the age range for this unit study is 8-13, I easily adapted many of the activities to my 4 year old.  

How much does it cost and what is included?
This amazing e-book retails for only $6.95 and is packed with 87 pages of quality curriculum including:

                       *Math
                       *Scriptures
                       *History and Geography
                       *Literature
                       *Science
                       *Handwriting
                       *Arts and Crafts
                       *Internet Resources
                       *Science Experiments
                       *Recipe Links
                       *A complete answer key for the parents:)

  **For hesitant buyers, The Old Schoolhouse also provides a free sample of the book.

In addition, The Old Schoolhouse Magazine is also offering the following titles for only $1:

What do I think?
More importantly, what did my little girl think of the study?  She LOVED it!!  She wanted to do more and more crafts about the platypus.  What I really appreciated about the e-book is that I could easily scan the materials and find what would work for Audrey.  This unit study is one that we will definitely revisit since there is so much yet to learn.  

  
We colored the platypus...
 


 We learned about the life cycle of the platypus...

After learning some new vocabulary and I adapted the writing part to Audrey's age.  You can download the Read it, Trace it, Paste it page I made here if you want to add it to your own study of the platypus!  
God made the platypus.
The platypus has brown pelt.

We also had fun making a paper plate version of the platypus...

Some other unit studies in the series include: Puffer FishBlue-Footed BoobyBlue Diamond, and Quicksand.  So hop on over to the Old Schoolhouse Store,  get your own unit study and have FUN!

I received this E-Book free from The Old Schoolhouse as part of The Homeschool Crew Review application process. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Pin It button on image hover